There’s an app for that – and I’m sure that’s not the first time you’ve heard that phrase. In fact, the Google Our Mobile Planet research on mobility reported that the average smartphone user has downloaded more than 25 apps. What does that look like in the big picture? Analyst estimate there were between 56 to 82 billion app downloads in 2013. In 2017, there could be 200 billion downloads!
Candy Crush and Angry Birds aside, we’ve pulled together 13 must-have mobile apps for the busiest small business owner to help you stay organized, efficient and continue working on-the-go. Here is our comprehensive list of the best mobile apps:
1. Evernote: Who knows when your next million-dollar idea is going to hit you? Evernote is a place where you can jot down all the ideas that you used to write on the corners of napkins. Store your ideas, notes (text or via voice recognition), web clips and images all in one place. Best of all, you can sync the mobile app version with your desktop version to access your notes anywhere.
2. Pocket: As they say, content is king – and its everywhere! Pocket allows you to clip the articles you want to read from your web browser, email, Twitter or pretty much anywhere (they are integrated with over 500 apps) for you to read later. Don’t miss the stuff you want to read because you don’t have the time right now – just put it in your Pocket.
3. Google Drive: Do you use Google Drive in the office? This app allows you to access the latest version of your Google documents by tablet or mobile device. The app offers the full office suite of Google Drive, and bonus – get started with 15 GB of storage, free.
4. Box: Use Box for collaboration: share the projects, presentations, etc. that you are working on from wherever you are. Box works across multiple devices and you can edit, annotate or e-sign from your phone.
5. Asana: Asana takes that annoying email string out of your inbox and is a platform for your tasks from as small as a to-do list to a large group project. You can assign tasks to your team, organize projects and keep conversation surrounding projects all in one place and most importantly, from wherever you are.
6. Expensify: Expensify is for people who think creating expense reports is a pain in the you-know-what. This app streamlines the process by allowing you to snap photos of receipts, create expense reports straight from your phone and even tracks mileage with GPS.
7. Square Register: Square has made it easy for anyone to accept credit card payment with their iPhone or iPad. The reader makes on-the-go transactions a snap, and has just undergone its first major redesign of hardware and software since its launch in 2009.
8. Uber: Landed in the city and no cabs in sight? Use Uber to find a driver, pay through your phone and leave feedback on the individual driver. It’s convenient and even lets you split fare with your friends. Plus, see what they’re doing for the holidays.
9. Turbo Scan: Use your phone as a scanner. Simply use the camera functionality to take a picture of the item you’d like to scan and choose whether to save it as a PDF or JPEG, or to email it.
10. QuickBooks Online: QuickBooks is the No. 1 accounting software for small businesses and now you can stay connected to your account on-the-go with the app.
11. Mint: The Mint app lets you access your Mint.com personal finance account from your phone. Create financial goals and plans, and track your spending with this free app. Mint will even sort your spending by category so you can see where your money is going.
12. TripIt: Do you travel often for business? TripIt is an easy way to organize your travel arrangements – simply forward your confirmation emails to email@example.com, and TripIt creates a personal, daily itinerary for you.
13. Waze: If you’re logging miles on your commute to work, Waze will be your new best friend. Waze generates routing in real-time based on community-contributed traffic and road alerts. Think of it as Social + GPS (and a quicker route to work!).
Whether you are at home, in the office or on-the-go, your mobile apps allow you to access your information and overall, just makes life easier.
We want to know: what apps do you use to make your life simpler and your business smarter?